Sunday, August 10, 2008

Date to Our Primary School


Last friday was eve of national day and teachers were all given half the day off. So Adrena and I decided to head back to our primary school to visit our alma mater and see if we could get to see any of our teachers. Its probably been 11 years since i went back to Qifa.

This is how i get to school that time. School is 5mins wal from my place. We usually had to lift our hands to stop the cars
Adrena giving a negative demonstration on how you should not cross the road



When we reach school, we had to go up to the school hall for assembly. I remembered that i used to be called on stage to pull my ears on a couple of occasions. I think they dont implement this in schools now.


Then we had to go back to climb 4 storeys up to go back to class. Remembered queuing up after recess and placing a finger to our lips and slowly walking back to class.
Used to be in 6H which was the best class in school, considering that 80% of the class went to the top schools in Singapore. Many now have become successful in their own field and probably some are relocated overseas by now.



The rusty metal cupboard which my teachers would put their cane. I still remembers that some of the canes have scotch tape wrapped around at the tip to prevent from splinters from hurting our lil palms.
In an era with no internet/handphone/pager/lan game/arcade, we played good ol' one leg, marble, zero point, pepsi cola, 5 stones during recess.
Water cooler was implemented during primary school, and i still remembered my mum asking me not to drink from the cooler as its not that clean. haha. check out the height of the water coolers!
I never understand why we had to draw curls and curves to learn cursive writing. English textbook was called coursebook then and it includes characters like mr yaki and mr bala.

ladybird books during our time are still being used.
I used to need to lean forward to see whats downstairs.

The basketball court is still there.
This place wasnt covered up last time and it serves as a good drying place for mops. Someone would spill the water when they tip over their water bottles and he has to go and get the mop to clear up the mess.
I used to be in 4G with Adrena, now we have concluded she was 2nd in class and i'm 3rd after much discussion. =|


The assembly area for the early morning mari kita is now a basketball court, wonder where they do their flag raising now.




We visited some teachers too!
Mr Ambrose James was my primary 4 form teacher. Really left me an impression.
His children are all grown up, married, and staying in germany and amsterdam.

Mdm Wong Chun was my P6 Chinese teacher and she still keeps our class list!
Had a good talk with her in the staffroom and now she is a grandmother of 2!

Mrs Lim-tan was adrena's P1 teacher but i knew her as well. Super super soft spoken lady whom adrena's mum said whom she felt was the best p1 teacher around.
I helped out her preschool class when i was a student back then so she kinda know me.


Canteens now have a foodcourt setting. Wonder who came up with these names. haha
okie happpy daaaaayy for both of us

No comments: